From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (April, 2012)
Category: Better-Player Irons
Price: $799, steel; $999, graphite
WE TESTED: 3-PW, UW, SW with Ping CFS steel shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: A progressive set design optimizes performance—larger long irons provide higher launch and greater forgiveness, while compact short irons provide more control. Stabilizing bars in the cavities contribute to improved feel and distance control.
OUR TESTERS SAY: One of the top-rated models in the test. A strong performer across the board and a standout in accuracy/forgiveness.
PLAYABILITY: A straight hitter that can be worked both ways with relative ease; half shots and knockdowns are simple to play; excels in nasty lies.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: As good as it gets in this category; all but the very worst swings result in acceptable direction and distance; some testers swear by the long irons.
DISTANCE CONTROL: Several testers hit these longer than their current model; off-center hits lose little distance, so club selection is a snap.
FEEL: Pleasing, predictable feedback; the head is so stable through the swing; provides a softer sensation than many Ping irons in the past.
LOOK: Satin finish limits glare; sits nice and square at address; appears slim at setup to be so forgiving.
A few guys prefer a bit more feedback on mis-hits so there’s a bigger difference with center hits; chip shots feel too hot to a small minority of guys.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Why The PGA Tour Should Fear Vijay Singh
- Tour Confidential: Is Tiger's Masters Clock Ticking?
- Tumble Like Rory to Knock Your Fairway Woods Pin High
- 'In Conversation With': Richard Kind and David Morse on Acting and Golf
- Learn Walker's 'Spider-Man' Move
- Tour Confidential: Match Play Event In Trouble?
- 'In Conversation With' Preview: Richard Kind and David Morse
- Tour Confidential: Why 'Caddyshack' Endures
- Deep Thoughts With Jason Day
- Johnny Miller: 3 Tour Trends That Need To End Now!